Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Spruce Falls - WIP 3



Another day, another phase to ponder. I detailed the rocks better, added some of the yellows and greens to the water, purples to the foliage above the falls, misted water on the water to create sparklies and now it is time to sit and ponder and wonder if I need to re-do anything at this stage. I am not sure I like the water pool, but also am not sure I dislike it. My original goal was to not hold back on color and not to try to keep things so realistic, so I have to think on this some. Do you get the idea I am out of my comfort zone, here?

In the ref photo there are a few twiggy branches crossing over the sides of the falls, in front of the rocks, that have specks of yellow leaves. I am thinking of putting those in to bring some more of that yellow down to the middle area a bit. That would be especially effective across some of the deeply shaded, purple rocks since yellow is the complement of purple....Hmmmm. This is one of those paintings that looks better from across the room...I am never sure just what that means, but that's the way it is with this one.

No comments: