Thursday, July 10, 2008

Arte Y Pico Award



Rhonda has awarded me the Arte y Pico award.
Arte y Pico is a blog from Uruguay created by Ana, who also created this wonderful award. So what does Art y Pico mean? In explaining what Arte Y Pico means, I will quote what my nominator, Rhonda, found: " I'll take my definition from Nava, who contacted Ana, the award originator: "Basically, ironically, it translates into a wonderful phrase in Mexico, 'lo maximo'. It will never find its counterpart in English, but if it HAD to, it would be something like, Wow. The Best Art. Over the top."
There are rules attached with this honor. It is sort of a "pay forward" deal. Award recipients are to choose five blogs they think are deserving of this award for their creativity, design, interesting material, and also for contributing to the blogging community, no matter what language. Each award has to have the name of the author and also a link to his or her blog to be visited by everyone. Each award winner has to show the award and put the name and link to the blog that has given her or him the award itself. Award-winner and the one who has given the prize have to show the link of “Arte y Pico” blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award which is here: Arte y Pico.

I am thinking of how many blogs I visit daily, mainly those who participate fully in the blogging community and share their wonderful art with us often. I don't know if I will submit five people, but I will choose wisely.
Once again, I thank Rhonda for her focus on my blog and support she gives to all of us. Her blog address is: http://rhcarpenter.blogspot.com/
Here are my nominees for this award:
Doris Glovier at http://artistrybyglovier.blogspot.com/ Doris paints in all media, and paints very well. Her portraiture and figure painting is just so sensitively painted, you feel she is showing us the souls of her subjects. I follow her oil-painting as well as watercolors on her blog and am grateful she is always willing to answer a request for more information and appreciate her sharing her work with us.
Kathy Nesseth at http://wcbykathynesseth.blogspot.com/ Kathy is a watercolorist supreme who had a recent painting chosen for the homepage of our Watercolor Workshop, the online critique group with over two thousand members worldwide. Her attention to detail with a paintbrush needs no other illustration than to have you go to her blog and see that strawberry painting. Kathy and I also belong to another group, where we share paintings four times a year, it is Sharing with Artist Partners or SWAP. I had the honor of receiving one of her paintings in a SWAP a couple of years ago and it is a treasured painting on my SWAP painting gallery in my studio.
Shanti Marie at http://shantimarie.wordpress.com/ Shanti paints in many media, including very fluid watercolors that retain their vibrancy and life. Her favorite subject seems to be Koi fish, and before I started reading her blog I wasn't all that enthused about fish paintings, but her treatment of these beauties gives them souls. She is part of the Daily Painters movement and adds to her blog daily with her latest paintings. It is a very colorful blog and one I check on daily, I might miss something if I didn't!
Nicholas Simmons at http://nicholassimmons.blogspot.com/ Nick made a comment on my blog, came to that through several other blogs, and I am so glad he did. He is an internationally known artist and reading his blog introduces us to exhibits worldwide and is so interesting with tidbits on what he is working on currently, shows he is in, workshops he is instructing, and much more. His work is definitely "over the top" as the focus of this award suggests and his blog is so interesting to follow. I am so glad he made a suggestion on a piece of art I had on my blog, it was a valid and valuable suggestion and introduced me to another dimension in the blogging artworld.
I wish the rules would allow me to add the blogs of Rhonda Carpenter and her teacher, Sandy Maudlin, to my favorite blogs but they have already been awarded this trophy. These two deserve additional mention here, though. If I only have five minutes to spend on the computer I always check in on their blogs. They are very giving and talented artists who take the time to contribute to the art blog community, and contribute well and often.
Thank you again to Rhonda for this honor, I like the concept of recognizing those who make our art lives richer, more valid certainly more fun!

4 comments:

Shanti Marie said...

Too Cool! Thank You!
Shanti Marie
Artist

RH Carpenter said...

Sorry your blogger is having gremlins, Susan, but glad to add you to my YOU ROCK artists (and with you, that could mean 2 things - ha ha). I think you've chosen some good award winners, too.

Nick said...

Hi Susan, very interesting and thanks for the plug - I didn't know anything about it. And that canyon painting is a smoker! I think you could leave it as is, or take it further - whatever your intuition tells you. saludos

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Hi Nick,

I'm glad you liked the canyon painting, I consider it my best so far, although I am slowly working my way up to painting the Grand Canyon by working on these lesser canyons (lesser in size, not in beauty as they all have an intangible, hard-to-replicate beauty). The prior large canyon I painted early this year was taken to a much brighter, hotter level and I liked that, but also like the softer, muted look of this one. This was painted on Kilamanjjaro paper and, as such, soaks up so much paint that one cannot always go for the gusto and the painting remains soft. But I like both Arches and Kilamanjaro in their own ways.