Friday, February 26, 2010

Sunset Anvil I



This is a painting I did yesterday at the watercolor session at the art club. I had so much fun yakking with my art budz while I slapped on the paint that I strayed from what I know to be true...when one is glazing for intense colors one must let each glaze dry completely or one achieves mud. The mud in this painting is certainly colorful, but I will start this again and do it correctly this time.

This painting is based on a wonderful photo by my NM Jeep Tours buddy, Roch, who allows me to paint from his great photos. I loved most the varied and wonderful sunset colors in this anvil cloud, but that didn't translate into this painting. Alas, as I said, I will do this again when my focus is more on the painting itself and I allow each glaze to dry properly.

What I like about this painting, other than that wonderful purple-y color, is that I loosened up and let the painting happen. I will, in my serious attempt, focus on the compositional changes needed to make this a good painting and I do know what those are.

This painting was painted for a 24 x 36 inch frame.

1 comment:

CHummelKornell said...

Muddy or not, it's dynamic. Especially like the far mountains and desert floor. There is so much beauty in the desert.

I left you a message on my blog post. Thanks for stopping by and viewing my jewelry.