I've started my larger version of the Prickly Pears I did the study for last week. As usual, when I do a study I often do an about-face and change my mind about how I want the finished version to appear, but then I guess that is the beauty of doing a smaller study first. The critiques I received for the small study convinced me to change the placement of the fruit for better composition so I did that. Also, these fruit change color from the pink to a deep burgundy as they ripen in the hot sun so I decided to do the fruit in the more current color of burgundy than when I took the ref photo. I chose a purple underpainting to set the values of this since it seems to be a more natural shadow color.
The image size of this painting is 18x30, which will go into an existing 24x36 frame. Watercolor on Arches 140-lb paper.