Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Tulips - WIP



This is one of those paintings I think would benefit from a trip to my "marinating easel". I do this in a prominent place where I walk by and see it occasionally and, most often, it jumps out at me what it needs. I know I need lots more darks to define the innards of the tulips, as well as more darks in the background around those negatively created leaves. I plan on working on my Big Horn Sheep challenge painting this afternoon (Gary Keimig's blog), though, so this one can just sit and wait until I want to speak to it again.

2 comments:

Barb Sailor said...

This is coming along stunningly - the colors are perfect and I really like the composition. You might think about all the direction going off of the top left of the paper and try to bring the eye back into the composition.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Thanks Barb! I think I will "carve out" another larger leaf curling toward the center over on that left side and blur out the background leaves behind it. Might fix the problem with all of those going that direction. I am not sure why I did them that way, I just know that when I paint negatively anything strange is bound to happen!