Thursday, October 07, 2010

Maroon Bells Experiment



Last week I took this whole-sheet painting to my art group and did this loosely organized underpainting of the Maroon Bells area of Colorado. The photo is from Freefoto.com and I loved the composition of it when I first saw it. My plan was to do a transparent watercolor underpainting and then do the detailing with gouache. As I attempted to do the gouache part I just didn't care for the appearance of the dull gouache so yesterday I took the painting outside and gave it a shower with the garden hose, let it dry, and have changed my plan of attack to using acrylics. I have lots of acrylic paint and will take my Stay-Wet palette to my art group this afternoon and see how this goes. If all else fails, I will try something else, I feel like I just HAVE to paint this scene since I like it so much.

Maybe,....gasp, an acrylic on canvas?

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

It looks beautiful so far, Susan, and I know you'll pull it off - and a full sheet?? Good for you!!
See Mike Bailey's posts lately? He's incorporating gouache into his transparent acrylics by just putting them in places here and there. Lovely so far so maybe take a tip from his work? But I like the idea of the acrylics, too.

Barb Sailor said...

You are correct - this is an excellent composition and you have a wonderful start on it. The reds are outstanding. Can't wait to see the finished product!

CHummelKornell said...

Susan, So great to have you back working...this is a wonderful beginning and will end up being one of my favorites. You must recognize that you are becoming a very talented landscape artist.

Baking with Bianca said...

This is a great post thankss