Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sunrise Spectacular

We had several early-morning errands to run yesterday morning so headed out just as the sun was coming up. It is so wonderful to have a good, purse-sized digital camera with me at all times so I don't miss shooting these spontaneous moments. We have had quite a few cloudy-sky days lately and these make for fantastic sunrises. It is during mornings like this that I am grateful that I can't seem to sleep late, this is a blessing and a curse!

One of our errands was to the recycling center, so pardon the fence and nearby rooftops but that is where we were at this point of the sunrise. Plus, we were being green! Before we left our community I tried shooting the sunrise through the saguaro cactus and mesquite trees at the entrance, but since this is a new camera for me I wasn't letting it focus before shooting the photo and they were all blurry. Drat! But, you take 'em when you can get 'em so you get to see roof tops and recycle bins.


As we were driving through Sun City West the rosy glow was being replaced by this golden glow. Sun City West is recognizable by the thousands of palm trees there, they look nice in silhouette.

This afternoon I will paint with my watercolor buds so will hopefully have something painted to show tomorrow. I am planning on painting on Yupo, so no guarantees! One of the monthly projects for the Watercolor Workshop is something shiny for the holidays, we'll see what I create on Yupo. Yesterday's post by Sandy Maudlin showed all of her past Yupo paintings, all were masterfully painted, and it inspired me to bring out the Yupo again. I plan on doing something like her Christmas tree/ornament paintings, I have learned so much just by studying her style on Yupo and trying to replicate some of the techniques she uses. She truly is a masterful artist!

3 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Lovely sunrise Susan - I often prefer them to sunsets - I think it is the promise of the day to come.

RH Carpenter said...

WOW! Great sunrise photos - thanks so much for sharing this beauty with us.

Aarti Harish said...

These are very beautiful and artistic photos...thanks for sharing them with this side of the globe..!!!