Thursday, December 31, 2009

Florida Mountains

After the Tuesday morning snowfall, we waited for the roads to clear and drove up into the nearby Florida Mountains. The lighting on these mountains was very dramatic at that time, and changed from being in the clouds to being in the glistening snow rapidly. This shot reminded me of being in Alaska or what the Alps must look like, although I am sure there would have been much deeper snow!

This is a nine-shot panorama of this range. We drove into the Spring Canyon part which is a pass to Rockhound State Park, Spring Canyon, which goes through the left side in this photo and up to about the 5,000 foot elevations. There was more snow there and there were families having snowball fights, etc. while we were there. It was a great excursion for us, who rarely see snow!

6 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

Beautiful pictures! Happy New Year.

Barb Sailor said...

Lovely, lovely mountains. I never heard of the Florida Mountains! where are they, exactly?

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Happy New Year to you both! Barb...the Florida Mountains are near Deming, NM. This also means that behind these mountains there is Mexico.

CHummelKornell said...

Susan,

Beautiful photos. Will you paint this landscape? I really do miss your paintings.

Aarti Harish said...

This one is mesmerising....!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos. I'm from Deming and it's great to be reminded of home. I hope it's OK if I use them as my desktop background...