Monday, November 17, 2008

I Wish I Hadna....



I am at the point in this painting where I am soooooo wishing I had not done several things. I think I cleared up (as much as possible) the foreshortening problem with the front right corner of the roof. Now, I am wishing I had not done an underpainting as I am feeling as if I had painted myself into a corner. I have few options for the troublesome rock/stream area since I have painted the darkest values with the blue. I promise to try my next project like this without an underpainting and see if that works better. In the meantime, I am plodding along trying to do this without messing up what I do like about this painting. Stay tuned for how this goes from here on out...it may be cropped down to a landscape orientation with just the mill and middle ground rocks! I know we never learn or advance our skills if we only paint what we know and are comfortable with, but I think I may have pushed myself farther than I want to go at this point! I am stepping away from the painting for a breath of fresh air and, hopefully, a new perspective.

1 comment:

RH Carpenter said...

Susan, I see a lot of things to like about this painting! If you have acetate (plastic) to put over the painting, take it and then put some of that red around inside the main door, etc. to dance our eyes around. And then maybe think about doing some drybrushing on the rocks to give them lots of texture and depth, little by little. Don't give up on this - I know what you're talking about with the foreshortening but I think you can pull this off.