Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pueblo painting using grayscale underpainting




These photos illustrate what we did in the Watercolor II class yesterday. The main thrust of the class was to show how using a grayscale under painting can help establish values in the finished painting. While hurrying through this I think I have some less than plumb walls here and there, but at the pueblo some of the older buildings in the pueblo had those in real life, too; so I am letting them stand...wavy though they be.

I am evolving in a way that leads me toward starting all my paintings with a grayscale underpainting, it just seems to keep me on track better. We'll see how far I go with this, but have been using the underpainting for everything from landscapes, to florals and even portraits and I like it so far.

No comments: