Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wolf Creek Pass Study

This is a small study I did as a project painting for the Watercolor Workshop. this month one of the projects was to paint a painting with mostly greens and use only mixed greens, no tube greens allowed. For this painting I chose ultramarine blue and cad yellow for the greens. For the rocks I used quin burnt orange and ultramarine blue.

I chose to do this on Yupo since I want to do a full sheet Yupo painting of this scene, but wanted to try a few things out before I start the larger painting. I like some of the textures I got in this, but will keep searching and experimenting with the larger painting textures. I always learn so much if I stop and do a study first, but rarely take the time to do that.

This is a photo taken on one of our trips up Wolf Creek Pass when we stayed in Chama, NM two years ago.

3 comments:

CHummelKornell said...

Susan, This is wonderful! You are a true landscape artist. Hope you are feeling better and the sun is shining gently on you both.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Thanks Coni! I received some good comments on this from the WcW and am saving the suggestions for when I do the larger one. I do like the possibilities for texture and corrections you get when working on Yupo; but also realize the pitfalls and challenges Yupo presents! I am carrying on a love/hate affair with the stuff but will persevere since I like the good stuff you get with it.

RH Carpenter said...

This is gorgeous and all I'd do it add a bit of blue to the water in the shadows. All those greens and the texture are beautiful!!