Friday, January 07, 2011

Coyote!

I heard a noise yesterday outside our breakfast nook window and this coyote was searching for rabbit nests under this window. I ran to get my camera and he had moved out to the oleander bushes. He looked to be a very well-fed coyote! Right after I snapped this photo, two larger coyotes jumped out of the oleanders and each of them had one rabbit between the two of their mouths, clamped down. They moved to this guy's left and I couldn't get a shot of them as they left, hooked together by this one poor rabbit. I thought that was such an unusual site to see two coyotes walking, connected by a shared rabbit. I say poor rabbit, but if it had to be their breakfast I certainly hope it was the same rabbit who has been eating my flowers! As you can see by the frost-damaged flowers in the pot, I am not having great luck with plants at this time. I got one photo of my canna's first bloom and then it, too, got frost burned. Such is life in the desert, complete with coyotes feasting in one's back yard!

2 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Talk about up close and personal.

CHummelKornell said...

Great photo, Susan. I really miss the desert and all the animal life. When we lived in the mountains above Rio Rico we had a family of javalenas (sp) who would come visiting mostly at night. They would come onto our patio and I could watch them in the moonlight through our bedroom window. One evening about dusk we were having our dinner when we heard a knocking at the front door. We were expecting a UPS delivery but had not heard the truck drive up. Bill went to answer the door and found our herd of javalenas. They had actually hit the front door several times and waited for him to appear! Needless to say, we didn't invite them to stay for dinner.