Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Oktoberfest Photo


This is a photo of me and my cohorts at the Oktoberfest art show. The attractive lady on the right is Sue, one of my fellow artisan jewelers and she and I manned the jewelry table and glass display case all day. Ellen, in the middle, is the club's Treasurer and had stopped by to visit for a few minutes when one of the club's photographers, Gene, took our photos. Thanks Gene for sending them to me! Sue has some marvelous designs with her jewelry and wears them so well, she is a great jewelry model and showcases her art well.



Here, I am adjusting a bracelet for a customer. If you click on the photos, you can see the details of the jewelry displayed better. I knew I was going to wear this black and white top so I made myself a necklace/earring set with the same black and white stripes as my top. It is so much fun to be able to do that on a whim....makes me look kinda like I was stylin', huh? LOL

We all had paintings for sale, also, but this crowd did not seem to be the same art-buying type that we have seen in years past. I think the fact that after 11 years our community is full and has stopped building homes so people aren't looking to fill the walls in their new homes as much as before, they are more settled. Add that to the state of the economy and it made for poor sales of paintings. Sad and disappointing, but understandable.

Check out my Artisan Jewelry blog for an additional photo and mention of this show.

4 comments:

CHummelKornell said...

Susan,

What beautiful jewelry. You guys are quite talented. Understandable about the slow art market, but the paintings in the pictures are wonderful. Love the colorful Native Americans.

Barb Sailor said...

The jewelry is stunning and stylish. The paintings are just beautiful. Such a lot of work, putting on something like your Octoberfest, but worthwhile - even if the sales were down this year, the work is out there for people to see - contacts are always valuable. If they need works in the future they will know where to come. I like your haircut, Susan!

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Thanks, Ladies for mentioning the artwork. We were stuck back in a rear corner in front of the utility storage room door (kinda like we were the stepchildren of the art club?), which does not give a good view of the wonderful art on display in the two studios that make up our art club. You should have seen the rest of the display! The level of skill of our artists would stand up to many professional galleries, I think. I am so proud of our members and the paintings they produce!

Barb...thanks for the comment about my haircut! I laughed when I saw that as I was drying it at 4:30am that morning so I could get to the club for set-up of our table before 6:30. Vanity takes its toll! Thank goodness for wash 'n' wear hair!

prashant said...

jewelry is stunning and stylish. The paintings are just beautiful. Such a lot of work, putting on something like your Octoberfest, but worthwhile - even if the sales were down this year, the work is out there for people to see - contacts are always valuable. If they need works in the future they will know where to come. I like your haircut, Work From Home