Thursday, December 04, 2008

NM Petroglyph Site



This is the second painting I finished today. It was painted from a photo of a petroglyph site in New Mexico. Roch, from NM Jeep Tours gave me permission to paint from his wonderful photo, for which I am grateful, he is a great photographer!

These are very large petroglyphs, almost intaglios it appears from the scale of the rocks. It was fun to do and shows some of the marvelous colors that were in these rocks.

Now, on to my next victim, a moose painting!

3 comments:

Marilyn Fuerstenberg said...

WOW Susan, you sure have been busy I like your mill painting. I can see why it speaks to you, I hope you get to visit it one day.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Thanks, Marilyn. I have been busy with finishing up painting projects this week, it feels good to have them ready to frame instead of piled in the studio. I like the mill painting better now than before, it was truly a challenge to do!

RH Carpenter said...

I didn't know they had these carvings on top of the rocks like this as I've only seen them on the sides, more protected. It seems they would have to be very deep to last and not wash/wear away. Very nice work, as always. If you go to that mill, you have to stop here and say hello - it's not that far from me!