Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mountain Vista





This was an exercise with the mentorees (using one of their photos) to practice some different techniques, such as spattering and mass foliage. For once, I tried to raise the color in the mountains instead of trying to paint them as seen in the photo and like how they turned out. To set them back, I used washes of white gouache after they were dry and the foreground painted. I saw this method in a book and will keep it in my mind for when I inadvertently miss on the values and need to set mountains back farther for perspective.

I also was re-trying Kilamanjaro paper again. I thought I liked it before, when I had bought a 25-sheet pack of it a few years ago. After using some Arches I decided that was more the paper for me and have not used Kilamanjaro since. Interestingly, I noticed yesterday that I didn't get the unintended blossoms that I sometimes get on Arches paper, where I don't want them. In my logical mind (assuming I have one!) I think it might have something to do with the fact that Kilamanjaro is a softer, more absorbant paper and maybe it stores a bit more moisture just below the surface and doesn't let the wetter paint push the pigment, like it stays wet longer? If this is so, I may have to switch back to Kilamanjaro since painting here on the desert is a constant struggle to get washes laid down without blossoms. Hmmmm.

Image size 11x15 on Kilamanjaro watercolor paper

1 comment:

Doris Glovier said...

Hi Susan,
This is a lovely landscape painting. The application of the gouache over the mountains is an interesting way to push them back (and very effective). On a recent oil painting, I used a glaze in a complementary color to push back a rocky river bank. I was amazed at how well it worked. Same sort of concept, I suppose. These tricks can really be useful in improving (and saving) a painting! I love the way you constantly push yourself and work earnestly to improve your artwork. In sharing your experience, many others are learning along with you. That's pretty terrific!