Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Canyon WIP 4


I seem to be working on this one mountain butte at a time, but I need to step back occasionally and see where I am to adjust details and value shifts. The right foreground mass of rocks will be next. The left mass will be darker since it is facing away from the sun, but I will see how dark and bright the foreground rocks are to decide what the values should be for that. Decisions, decisions. I see on this last butte that the spires that are the tallest are "kissing" the butte behind, so will make the tallest one taller to cross the plane of that back butte better. There is always something I miss! This was totally a miss since I added much of the top detail of that butte, adding several spires and hoodoos to break up all the horizontal and vertical lines there, it was too geometric before. Looks like I missed getting the tallest one tall enough to break the plane. Onward and (hopefully) upward.....

3 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Susan, this is looking soooo good. I'll be watching to see you finish this beauty, slowly but surely.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Thanks Rhonda,

I normally will work on and finish a painting all in one day, I usually can't wait to see how they will look when finished! But, I am trying to force myself to go slowly on this and consider all my next steps. Too much important detail to hurry through it.

Anonymous said...

Susan, I remember watching you paint a similar scene five years
ago which turned out very well...
BUT even the beginnings of this one are incredibly better...KUDOS.