Friday, December 08, 2006

Monument Valley Demo


This is the second of my class demo paintings that I am submitting here today. I submit them not because they are necessarily worthy of display, but rather that I am showing my students who peek in here how I tried to refine them after class. I intended to show how to illustrate the depth of field in a landscape painting by value shifts (light to dark as you move forward), temperature shifts (cool to warm as you move forward), and size shifts (smallest in back, largest in front). I missed a bit on the temperature shifts in that I ended up with a cooler foreground foliage clump than I intended and the middle ground butte could have been warmer. But, I think the students for the most part "got it" and their paintings showed better shifts than mine! Onward and upward. My next painting will be a floral that I have been waiting to paint, we'll see how that turns out.

No comments: