Friday, January 31, 2014

Maryann's Sunset


This is a painiting for which I used Maryann Watkins special photograph taken at sunset at the Desert Botanical Gardens. I exercised my "artistic license" quite a bit with this since there was no path such as this in the photo, nor was the horizon this shape. What I tried to do was to capture, instead, the moody colors of this particular sunset. I also liked the shadowy blues in the cholla in her photo, so I accented those here. Thanks again to Maryann for her permission to paint from another of her excellent photos.

3 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

I can see why you fell in love with the photo. That sky is wonderful! The colors are terrific!

RH Carpenter said...

Lovely painting, Susan :)

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Thanks, ladies. It is a large (full sheet) painting that took quite a few sessions to do since I can't paint every day like I used to, but it was fun while working on it.