Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fremont Petroglyphs






I just finished this full sheet painting of petroglyphs from the Fremont People in Utah. This is called Newspaper Rock, although there are other examples of newspaper petroglyphs elsewhere that we have found, so it is not specific to the Moab area.

I recently cleaned out my studio so it is now useable again, I don't know why I can't seem to keep it organized enough to use it, but it is sure nice to use now. I guess the term "procrastination" would apply?

3 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

How neat to paint a bit of history. I love the beautiful, rich colors of the background.

RH Carpenter said...

I've only seen this from postcards while in the area - we didn't take the trek out to see that particular rock at that time, but did hike a bit and enjoy the scenery all around. I like the Moab area!

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Thanks Vicki and Rhonda. I love painting these characters. Rhonda, this amazing panel is best accessed by climbing atop a huge boulder to shoot the photo. When we were last there it was before I had to start wearing braces on my feet/legs, which allowed me to do that. I am so glad I did it while I could!