Saturday, July 12, 2014

I see it has been six months since I last posted here. It has been such a  mementous six months in our lives. My Tom was hospitalized and rehospitalized for a total of 50 days after my last post. He passed away on May 9th. I have spent the months since in a whirl of business/estate details and lots of soul-searching. As for the past two years, I did very little painting, even less now as I handle all of these details involved when one's spouse dies. I am nearing the end of these estate issues and have been very proud of the fact that I have done everything correctly, it seems, and can get on with my life as it is to be from now on.

I feel that I am in a good place now, over the numbness, disbelief and worst of the painful grieving. I still have my moments, for sure, but they are becoming more bearable. I have to thank all of my faithful friends, of which I have been blessed with many, for helping me through this. Most especially, I thank my twin sister, Sandy, who has been with me so often when I needed her presence. My brother, sister and I took a one-week roadtrip to Texas to visit with oour many cousins there, and that trip provided a wonderful break from all I had been dealing with at home. It was a great rebonding time for we siblings.

I have to have hand surgery soon on my right (dominant) hand, so will probably not be able to paint for awhile once that happens, but do want to return to my more prolific times when I was increasing my painting skills more rapidly. Now, I feel I have lost a lot of skills and instincts after over two years of not painting very much at all.

Please hang in there with me as I work to recover what I have lost in my art. I promise to work on this blog more often, even if it is to show what I am working on, finished or not. Maybe that will allow me to be mroe disciplined?

Blessings to you all...Susan

7 comments:

Barb Sailor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb Sailor said...

Susan,
You have been in my thoughts and prayers for a long time. Life has not been kind to you for several years and losing Tom is so sad. In addition, you have had accidents and health problems of your own. I am sorry to hear of the upcoming hand surgery, but hopefully you will then be able to do your beautiful art again. I have enjoyed your photos on Facebook and it is good to see your smile again. I pray that all goes well for you.
Hugs,
Barb

Unknown said...

Susan, It's been years since we were starting out in the SCG Art Club, hasn't it? So sorry to hear about your recent loss and hand surgery. All I can tell you, after being twice widowed, is that life goes on - and it is what you make of it. Despite limitations caused by a considerable loss of vision due to glaucoma, I am painting and loving it! (You can check out my Facebook page at Linda Halabe's Art.) I'm back in Surprise in independent living at Chapaarral Winds since the beginning of the year after sojourns in SCW and Sun City. Would love to get together some time. Wishing you all the best, Linda Halabe

Vicki Greene said...

Susan, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You are a strong woman and you have fought some very difficult battles these last few years. As an artist those skills and instincts are there and will revive quickly once you are able to paint again. I for one look forward to your sharing in whatever form it may take. Blessings Vicki

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Thank you all, Ladies! It has been a atruggle to attend to all the details involved in losing a spouse, but I think I am in a fairly good place now. I haven't done it alone and am thankful I haven't had to. Friends and family are an amazing blessing.

debwardart said...

Please accept my condolences. I wish you all the best in the coming years. Life goes on, just in a different way after the passing of a loved one. Get yourself taken care of, emotionally and physically. Perhaps painting will be your way to lose yourself in the moment and deal with your loss in a positive way. God bless.

Michelle Himes said...

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. (My Dave has been gone now for 13 years). But you sound like you have gotten through the worst of it. I'm typing this on Friday, so I imagine that you have already had your hand surgery. I hope all went well and that you will have a quick recovery. If they send you for physical therapy, make sure you take all you can get - it will really help. I hope you can get back to painting soon.